金伝丸 Kindenmaru Ramen: Midnight Tonkotsu @ Shibuya

Made a detour to this ramen-ya after a failed dinner plan at a popular izakaya which reeked of tobacco rather than food. A quick Tabelog check revealed a rather average rating but still there was a steady stream of students and salarymen strolling into the shop. And so I took a gamble and ordered a seasonal bowl of Spicy Tan Tan Ramen (¥900) which looked excitingly fiery and red on the signboard. 



The real thing wasn't an exact replica of what it looked but there's everything that spoke of "Tan Tan"; chilli oil and minced meat. One can choose between thin/thick noodles and the amount of chicken oil for your bowl. I opted for thin noodles, normal levels of oil and the results were quite a tasty bowl that suited my palate. In fact, I was taken aback by the rich intensity of the shoyu-based Tonkotsu broth. 

Creamy and full of umami, the broth encouraged some enjoyable slurping with the springy noodles. I tossed in some red Togarashi, letting some simmer in the broth to release the subtle spicy notes. Mmmm....yummy. I haven't had many Tonkotsu bowls in my life to tell if this is fantastic or not but I'm very sure this will appeal to those who like heavy, rich flavors. 

Kindenmaru 金伝丸
Japan, Tokyo, Shibuya, Udagawacho, 24−6
Mon-Thur/Sun 10am-7am next day
Fri/Sat 10am-8am next day

Comments